Wednesday 5 October 2011

My first review for Carry On Quack

Today was a special day, as I received my first review for Carry On Quack. 

's review
Oct 05, 11

5 of 5 stars
Read in October, 2011

What can I say about Chris Wilt's debut novel? Since joining Goodreads I've gone beyond my comfort (reading) zone into realms that before, I would never have dreamed of venturing. Why? Because as a writer, I'm constantly researching my chosen eras, studying books linked to the fierce focus I maintain for publication with Simon&Schuster. And so, carving out time with my Kindle, I have discovered that I can zip quite nicely along with a fantasy, sci-fi or young adult, and in this case, enjoy a mental rampage with the zany, eccentric, totally loveable Dr Edward Quack with debilitating IBS, the central figure in Chris's comic novel. This loopy doctor has a real heart - hidden somewhere under the corseted confines of his National Health training and subsequent haphazard career in medical practice. I soon found myself captivated by Quack's attractive veggie wife, Elizabeth, and appalled by their selfish and manipulating teenagers, Neville and Jessica. A functional family the Quacks are not! But somehow, a bizarre kinship binds them together throughout the book. There is an unexpected poignancy here, as the fracturing family struggles to survive. To cap it all, a furtive, opportunistic detective by the name of Dolly Hunt is called in by the hapless Quack to trail Elizabeth when she leaves him for another man. Dolly is gorgeously grotesque. I was mesmerized as the plot cantered along in unexpected ways! So, what can I say? - Other than, I am still thinking about the good doctor and his family. In fact, they are stubbornly stuck in my head and I should love to know what happens next. Should there be a sequel, I should happily buy it and treat myself to some more cleverly-written giggles that I have thoroughly enjoyed whilst reading Wilt’s, Carry On Quack.

No comments:

Post a Comment